Chaos at Chennai bus Mofussil Bus Terminus due to insufficient number of buses
They were unable to handle the increasing crowd, the police resorted to lathicharge at Koyambedu.
As there were not sufficient numbers of buses, confusion prevailed at the Chennai Mofussil Bus Terminus in Koayambedu and Perungalathur bus stand from Wednesday night till the early hours of Thursday.
Thousands of passengers wanted to get a bus to their native places so that they can cast their votes. Therefore they were found waiting at these locations till 3am.
The passengers complained that even though the state transport department operated additional buses, it wasn't sufficient. Subsequently, many were enforced to travel on footboard and atop Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation (TNSTC) and State Express Transport Corporation (SETC) buses endangering their lives.
The police resorted to lathicharge at Koyambedu, which caused the situation to get further worsened as they were unable to handle the increasing crowd.
Nevertheless, at private omnibus stand, certain cops did help senior citizens and women with children to board buses.
Even though, private operators collected excessive fares from passengers. For travelling to Madurai and Coimbatore some of them charged around Rs. 1,500-2,000.
- Concerned over reports of alleged tampering of voters' verdict: Pranab Mukherjee
- Opposition leaders meet EC officials, demand verification of VVPAT slips before counting of votes
- Sanjeeva Matandoor: Congress-JD (S) coalition has failed the people of Karnataka
- EVMs absolutely safe in strongrooms: Election Commission
- Pakistani boat carrying drugs seized by Indian Coast Guard