- BJP Mahila Morcha seeks SC’s intervention
- Hyderabad: Master class on photography, film at MANNU
- Guntur: TDP, JSP confirm candidates for 12 out of 17 Assembly seats
- Vijayawada: Prepare for polls, Daggubati Purandeswari to cadre
- Nellore: Newbies to play tug-of-war in 2024 elections
- Devotional extravaganza with Annamayya Sankeerthanas today
- People against Constitution indulging in negative propaganda: CM
- Hyderabad: Training session on identification of critical polling stations held
- Kartik digs Bengaluru’s culinary delights
- Italy announces bilateral security deal with Ukraine
42 years on, villagers recall mishap that claimed 75 lives
42 Years on, Villagers Recall Mishap That Claimed 75 Lives, Volvo Bus Fire Accident. Some people thought that the mishap occurred due to the curse of a lorry owner, a Sikh, who lost a lorry load of cloves before the 1971 accident.
Some people thought that the mishap occurred due to the curse of a lorry owner, a Sikh, who lost a lorry load of cloves before the 1971 accident.
Exactly 42 years back, 75 persons were killed at the same village Palem near Kothakota in the district, where 45 people were killed on October 30 in Volvo bus fire accident.
The villagers of Palem turned nostalgic to recall the ghastly accident which claimed 75 people while they were enjoying a wayside show on May 17, 1971.
Seenaiah, an eyewitness of 1971 carnage recalls that the villagers were enjoying the puppet show at Anjaneya Swamy temple at the peepal tree near Palem village when a lorry went out of control and mowed down the people watching the show. In the mishap, 69 persons died on the spot and six others died later undergoing treatment. Then there was no national highway but the main road passed through the village.
The ghastly incident was not known well to the outside world as there were no TV channels or a number of print media. The villagers ticked it off as their fate.
Some people thought that the mishap occurred due to the curse of a lorry owner, a Sikh, who lost a lorry load of cloves before the 1971 accident. According to villagers, the lorry with full load of cloves met with an accident near Palem and people of the surrounding villages including Palem stole the bags of cloves from the lorry after the accident. Due to the curse of the Sikh owner of the lorry, the serious accident occurred in 1971 and so many people of the village died, the villagers believe.
At the same village, after 42 years, five months and eleven days the fire engulfed Volvo bus killing 45 persons.
The villagers of Palem after witnessing the ghastly mishap recalled with tears the ghastly mishap of 1971 in which they lost their dear ones.