Fluffy, delicious milletious!
Fluffy, Delicious Milletious!. Millets have been gaining popularity in urban diets due to their nutritive value. Millets are gluten free and higher in fibre than other well-known popular grains, making them a good alternative to rice and wheat. Millets are used in a variety of ways. Whole millets can be cooked and used as a replacement for rice.
- Chop the parsley, mint and green onions, very finely and set aside.
- Check the cucumber to make sure it is not bitter, remove the seeds, retain the skin and chop it into small cubes.
- Remove the seeds from the tomatoes and chop the same size as the cucumber.
- Finely chop the onion and crush with your fingers to separate.
- In a large bowl, mix together the parsley, mint, green onions and the vegetables. Add the boiled jowar pearls and stir them together.
- In a smaller bowl, add the salt, lemon juice, cumin powder and whisk well.
- Pour this dressing over the vegetables and mix gently with your fingers.
- Scatter the pine nuts and feta/ paneer over the salad. Serve with bread or rolls.
Potatoes 2 medium, boiled and peeled
Foxtail Millet ½ cup, washed, soaked and pressure cooked for 2 whistles
Ginger 1 inch piece, grated
Green chillies 1, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh Coriander ¼ cup
Peas ¼ cup, steamed
Carrot ½ cup grated
Bread crumbs ¼ cup
Cumin powder ¼ teaspoon
Garam masala ¼ teaspoon powder
- In a bowl, add the boiled potato, mash it with your fingers. To this add the cooked millets and rest of the vegetables and mix well.
- Add the grated ginger, bread crumbs, garam masala powder, cumin powder, green chillies, fresh coriander leaves and salt and pepper and mash. Add a tablespoon of water if needed to make a mixture that can be shaped into patties.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal parts, roll into a ball. Flatten slightly and pan fry in a little bit of oil on a hot pan.
- Turn twice to cook till evenly golden brown.
- Serve hot with sauce or mint chutney. The patties can also be used to make burgers with a bun and salad.