- Bishop Jayarao Polimera, Head of the Roman Catholic emphasises youth should have talent
- GVMC mayor lays foundation stone for development works in Maddilapalem
- Kotamreddy confident of hattrick victory
- MVV Satyanarayana lays foundation stone for Varasiddhi Vinayaka Durga Polamamba Temple in Vizag
- Speaker disqualifies 8 MLAs from Assembly
- GHMC Dy Floor leader visits Veerannagutta to oversee arrangements for Maha Sivaratri
- Imansa family express gratitude to Prathipati Pulla Rao
- Naidu, Sharmila lambast YSRCP for ‘humiliating’ cricketer Vihari
- TSRTC makes arrangements for Intermediate exams
- Birds of different feathers flock to avian island at Neknampur Lake
Power tariff hike sparks public ire
Ongole: The Opposition parties stir against power tariff hike received groundswell support from people across the district on Monday. Political...
Ongole: The Opposition parties stir against power tariff hike received groundswell support from people across the district on Monday. Political parties, including the Telugu Desam Party, the BJP and the Left, pitched their tents in front of the Collectorate, to protest against the hike. The picture remained the same all over the district. The main Opposition party, Telugu Desam, took the opportunity to mobilise people against the unpopular decision of the government. Same is the case with other parties like the BJP and the Left. The Telugu Desam Party activists all over the district conducted dharnas, rallies and hunger strike camps. In Ongole city, the Telugu Desam Party activists took out a big rally in solidarity with the one day token fast by the party president Chandrababu Naidu and held a dharna near NTR statue at Addanki bus stand. They blamed the government's lopsided policies for the present mess in the State. They demanded the government to withdraw the decision immediately. The Left parties organised protest rallies in Podili, Darsi, Markapuram, Singarayakonda and other parts of the district to protest the hike in power tariff. The BJP leaders in the city launched indefinite fast against the government decision and said they would continue to their agitation till the government roll back the charges. Govt flayed for hike Ungutur: People cutting across party lines held a dharna here on Monday in protest against the government decision to hike power charges. CPM mandal convenor Guttikonda Venkata Krishna Rao, speaking on the occasion, criticised the attitude of the government for not heeding to the requests of their own party leaders like Chiranjivi in this regard. Call to make bandh a success Gudivada: Left party activists staged a dharna in front of the local RDO office in protest against power tariff hike. CPI Gudivada area secretary, speaking on the occasion, asserted that the agitation would continue till the government withdrew the decision. He called upon the people to stand united in opposing the power tariff hike and make the bandh called by Left parties on April 9 a big success.