- Stopping immune attacks key to make biomedical implants safer
- Role of Panchayats in dispute resolution
- Waheeda Rehman: A living legend honoured at last
- YS Jagan condoles death of senior journalist Anand Kumar
- Vijayawada: World Tourism Day observed
- Chief of Defence Staff General Anil Chauhan visits CAW
- APCOB adjudged best state cooperative bank
- Implement women’s reservation in 2024 LS polls, demands CPM
- Rajamahendravaram: SP felicitates Special Public Prosecutor
- Modi to inaugurate 800 mw NTPC plant; Kishan visits GG grounds
No role of TRS in Telangana formation: Ghulam Nabi Azad
Senior Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad on Thursday criticised the Telangana Rashtra Samithi TRS for taking the credit for the formation of Telangana, and claimed that TRS had no role in the creation of the state
Hyderabad (Telangana): Senior Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad on Thursday criticised the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) for taking the credit for the formation of Telangana, and claimed that TRS had no role in the creation of the state.
Speaking to media here, the Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha said, "TRS is taking ownership for being responsible for granting the statehood to the Telangana state. I have to clarify that TRS had no role in the formation of Telangana state. Legislators and MPs of the Congress party from Telangana and the Congress organisation from Telangana is wholly and solely responsible for the formation of Telangana. On the recommendation of the Congress Working Committee at the national level, UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi and under the leadership of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh we made the law. We didn't make it a law on the recommendation of TRS."
He also attacked the TRS on the issue of Muslim reservation and termed it as a gimmick to fool people. Azad said, "TRS knew that 12 per cent reservation will not be allowed by the court. Previously also court dismissed the then Congress government attempt in Andhra Pradesh to provide 5 per cent reservation to Muslims. TRS very well knew that if court has dismissed the Congress attempt of 5 per cent reservation, it will certainly not allow 12 per cent reservation. With this tactic, they are fooling people by promising 12 per cent reservation."