- World Lung Day 2023: Date, theme, significance and history
- Breathe easy!
- Happy World Pharmacists Day 2023: Wishes, Theme, History and Significance
- Karam Festival 2023: What is Karam Puja and Its Significance in West Bengal?
- Namma BMTC Mobile app launched
- Toyota Kirloskar Motor Announces the Culmination of its North Regional 'Great 4X4 Expedition by Toyota', loaded with Fun and Amazing Adventures
- Synchrony’s Remarkable Initiative: Health Checkup for 555 Veterans in Telangana
- Tata Motors delivers first-of-its-kind Hydrogen Fuel Cell powered buses to Indian Oil
- Haier Launches ‘The Future of Entertainment’ with K800GT Google TV Series
- 1 killed, 2 hurt after rashly-driven SUV loses control in Delhi
Ananth Kumar’s political career was shaped by Hubballi
Ananth Kumars father Narayan Sastry was railway employee and they settled in Hubballi for many years at MTS railway section in 197080The commercial centre of Karnataka, Hubballi, located about 450 km from Bengaluru played a important role in the life of Union minister HN Ananth Kumar, who breathed his last early on Monday, to shape his political careerHis mother Girija Sastry was social worke
Ananth Kumar’s father Narayan Sastry was railway employee and they settled in Hubballi for many years at MTS railway section in 1970-80. The commercial centre of Karnataka, Hubballi, located about 450 km from Bengaluru played a important role in the life of Union minister HN Ananth Kumar, who breathed his last early on Monday, to shape his political career.His mother Girija Sastry was social worker and also active member of Jan Sangh in Hubballi went on to become the second woman deputy mayor of Hubballi-Dharwad Municipal Corporation from Sept, 3, 1985 to September, 2, 1986.
Ananth Kumar did his SSLC from Lamington School and PUC in Science at PC Jabin college and pursued BA from Kadasiddeshwar Arts College. He also did his LLB for two years in JSS Law college from 1975 to 1980.As a college student, he was actively indulged in the ABVP, a student wing of RSS. As young activist and student leader, he also took part in agitations during emergency and was jailed for 40 days in Hubballi sub-jail in 1975.
Recognising his contribution in strengthening ABVP, then BJP state leadership hooked him and gave him more responsibility of strengthening the BJP in state in 1987. He was made general secretary of BJP and he shifted from Hubball to Bengaluru in 90’s where he contested Lok Sabha polls from Bengaluru south and won.He is credited with getting South Western Railways headquarter shifted to Hubballi from Bengaluru. As a union minister during former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee tenure, he ensured SWR remains in Hubballi.
Recalling his association with Ananth Kumar, former CM Jagadish Shettar said, “when I was practicing as advocate in city, I was taking part in protest for HC bench and other issues. On advice of Ananth Kumar, I joined full time politics. He mentored and helped me to achieve success in politics.For me Ananth Kumar is my political guru.”
Dr KS Sharma, who was teacher of Ananth Kumar in LLB said, as a law student, Ananth Kumar was very active in student movements and developed leadership qualities to be a successful politician.