- Fire breaks out in Delhi apartment, two rescued
- Ex-India cricketer Lalchand Rajput appointed UAE head coach
- Vidya Balan Takes Legal Action Against Fake Instagram Account
- K’taka govt suspends police officer for filing ‘false case’ against 40 lawyers
- MVV Satyanarayana's Padayatra in Visakhapatnam East Constituency Receives Great Response
- WPL: Sutherland will add a lot of firepower to our team, says DC captain Lanning
- Nitin Gadkari to inaugurate projects worth Rs 13,000 cr in Karnataka
- Amazon plans to launch low-priced fashion vertical 'Bazaar' in India
- Yashasvi gains big in ICC Test rankings after double ton in Rajkot
- PM to dedicate to nation 2 N-power reactors; Kakrapar plant 4 to be connected to grid soon
Maharashtra Cabinet approves ₹100 crore for Bal Thackeray memorial
Late Balasaheb Thackeray was not just leader of the Sena but a leader of this alliance Balasaheb will remain a person of high importance for all political parties Therefore, in todays Cabinet, 100 crore has been approved for his memorial, which will inspire the youth, State Finance Minister Sudhir Mungantiwar said
The Maharashtra Cabinet on Tuesday approved ₹100 crore for the construction of a memorial for the late Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray.
“Late Balasaheb Thackeray was not just leader of the Sena but a leader of this alliance. Balasaheb will remain a person of high importance for all political parties. Therefore, in today’s Cabinet, ₹100 crore has been approved for his memorial, which will inspire the youth,” State Finance Minister Sudhir Mungantiwar said.
Mr. Mungantiwar said funds for the memorial will be provided by the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) and the BJP-led State government will ensure its availability.
After the Cabinet meeting, Mr. Mungantiwar told reporters in Mumbai that relations between the BJP and its ally Shiv Sena “were and will remain sweet.”
There are “high chances” of a tie-up between both the parties (for the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections) because the BJP has always been in favour of an alliance, he said.
The Sena, an ally of the BJP at the Centre and in Maharashtra, has been often critical of the two governments. Last year, the Uddhav Thackeray-led party had announced to go solo in future elections.
Mr. Mungantiwar expressed confidence that both the parties will be able to forge an alliance ahead of the polls. The BJP has observed that there is an exceptionally good response from Sena ministers in the Cabinet meetings, he said, adding that “they congratulate the chief minister on various issues and firmly back the BJP on issues of farmers.”
The memorial is set to come up at a location in Shivaji Park area where earlier Mumbai mayor’s bungalow was located. The prime sea-facing property, measuring around 11,500 sqm, was handed over to the ‘Balasaheb Thackeray Rashtriya Smarak Nyas’ Trust last year, clearing the decks for the memorial.