Loan waiver: Farmers to stage dharnas in TS on July 31
Loan Waiver: Farmers To Stage Dharnas In TS On July 31. With the Telangana State government\'s failure to announce the modalities of \'loan waiver\' scheme and delay in releasing fresh crop loans, the farmers organisations have decided to stage protest dharnas in all mandals head quarters on July 31.
- 77 ryots committed suicide in the last two months, says Telangana Rythu Sangam
- Further delay would turn farmers’ condition worse
- Drought-like situation prevailing due to scanty rainfall
Hyderabad: With the Telangana State government's failure to announce the modalities of 'loan waiver' scheme and delay in releasing fresh crop loans, the farmers organisations have decided to stage protest dharnas in all mandals head quarters on July 31.
The farmers’ body Telangana Rythu Sangham demanded that the government fulfil the promise of waiving off crop loans up to Rs 1 lakh made in its manifesto. Even though 'loan waiver' was one of the 43 subjects discussed by the Cabinet at a recent meeting, the government was yet to arrive at a decision.
Speaking to The Hans India, the Sangham general secretary Pasya Padma said due to scanty rainfall germination of seeds failed affecting most of the small and medium farmers. In the last two months some 77 farmers committed suicide. "We demand the government to extend support to these farmers and release new crop loans," said Padma.
It is believed that due to deficient rainfall, the seeds failed to germinate in some places, while in other places the crops failed completely. There were instances, where crops dried up due to heat wave. The farmers fear that it would be drought-like situation in this year.
"Most of the farmers have bought seeds by taking hand loans at high rate of interest. The government should stop dilly dallying and extend new loans to farmers before some more commit suicide", said T Vishweshwara Rao, another leader.
- MP government to reopen 12-year-old murder case against Pragya Thakur
- Why hesitate to declare DMK is with Congress? AIADMK asks MK Stalin
- Supreme Court refuses to set up special bench for ex-Kolkata top cop's plea
- Opposition insulting people's mandate by blaming EVMs: Naqvi
- Kamal Nath mocks exit polls as entertainment polls