- Banks propel markets to new highs
- Ireland beat Afghanistan by six wickets to secure maiden Test victory
- VBA can win 6 Maha LS seats solo, fight on all 48 if need be, claims Prakash Ambedkar
- Student slap case: Children provided counselling facilities, UP govt tells SC
- Google to Pull These 10 Apps from Play Store Over Non-Compliance
- Bengaluru cafe blast was due to IED, Siddaramaiah says
- Formula 1 chief and FIA president to meet over allegations against Christian Horner
- 'PM - Surya Ghar: Muft Bijli Yojana' promises to save Rs 15,000 per household
- My resolve is to prevent Trinamool from looting public money in Bengal: PM Modi
- Pakistan's presidential election on March 9
Fani victims yet to get compensation in Srikakulam
Victims of Fani cyclone have been looking for compensation amount in Uddanam mandal in Srikakulam district.
Srikakulam: Victims of Fani cyclone have been looking for compensation amount in Uddanam mandal in Srikakulam district.
The severe cyclonic storm hit Odisha coast on May 3 impacting several mandals in north Srikakulam, Itchapuram, Kaviti, Kanchili and Sompeta. In these four mandals, 2.75 population in 145 villages were affected and lost their crops, assets and animals. Total loss was estimated as Rs 57.61 crore and the report was submitted to the government within a week after cyclone made its landfall. Paddy, horticulture crops, cashew, coconut, pulses, groundnut and maize crops were damaged badly due to Fani.
Roads, drains and pipelines were affected in Itchapuram and Palasa towns. Rural water supply schemes were also affected in four mandals. In total, 118 houses were damaged due to strong gales. At that time Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu reviewed the situation with officials.
But the government did not give its nod for payment of compensation till May 20 as counting of votes started and new the government assumed charge subsequently. The government needs to finalise the compensation package for loss caused by cyclone. "We lost our coconut plantations due to Titli cyclone in October 2018 and also lost plantations again in May 2019 due to Fani cyclone.
The government so far not released compensation for the crop loss," Anand Panigrahi, Buvaneswar Prasad Panigrahi, D.Gurumurthy of Baruva in Sompeta mandal said. "We are waiting for government nod and sanction of funds for payment of compensation," said Collector J Nivas.