Foods rich in Omega-3 for brain health, asthma
Foods Rich In Omega-3 For Brain Health, Asthma. Our body needs essential fatty acids like Omega-3, but since it cannot make them on its own, it\'s vital to consume the ‘good fats’ through food.
New Delhi: Our body needs essential fatty acids like Omega-3, but since it cannot make them on its own, it's vital to consume the ‘good fats’ through food.
Avoid Omega-3 supplements and instead pick foods enriched with it for its health benefits, suggests Simran Saini, nutritionist and weight loss consultant, Fortis Hospital:
Benefits for Children
* Omega-3 is a critical ingredient of brain health and its low levels in the body are associated with poorer reading and memory.
* It is essential for cognitive development of children. Children born to mothers who took Omega-3 supplements during pregnancy and breastfeeding, score higher on cognitive tests compared to others.
* It is proven to benefit eye health, especially infant vision development, by helping the retinal function
* It has been found to be useful for children and teenagers suffering from asthma, attention-deficit disorder and depression.
Benefits for Adults
* Omega-3 is beneficial for the heart and can substantially reduce chances of stroke or heart failure. It also decrease the risk of arrhythmias (abnormal heartbeats), which can lead to sudden death.
* It seems to lower the chances of developing certain types of cancer.
* It is good for memory and benefits people suffering from depression or dementia.
* Societies which eat a diet rich in Omega-3 have a much lower incidence of depression.
* Omega-3 is effective in reducing cholesterol levels. It regulates the amount of bad fat (triglycerides) circulating in the blood, reducing the risk of heart disease
* It improves blood circulation and oxygen absorption.
* It helps curb stiffness and joint pain in patients of rheumatoid arthritis.