- Five key projects of GMDA worth Rs 194.18 crore approved
- EU slaps $2 billion anti-trust fine on Apple following Spotify's complaint
- Momentum in power, capital goods stocks as infra projects likely to be unveiled, say analysts
- Santosh Trophy: Services hand Railways a 2-0 defeat to march into semifinals
- Ola's S1 Pro electric scooter gets PLI certification to boost green mobility
- Ranji Trophy: Big win over Tamil Nadu takes Mumbai into final for 48th time
- Sinead O'Connor's slams Trump for using singer's best-selling single at rallies
- Tata Motors to demerge business into two separate listed companies
- Interoperable payment system for Net banking to be launched this year: RBI chief
- Cash-for-query row: Delhi HC rejects interim injunction against 'defamatory' posts on Mahua Moitra
Mexico arrests suspect in shooting of US official
A man suspected of shooting and wounding a US consular agent in Mexico\'s Guadalajara city has been arrested, Mexican officials said.
Mexico City: A man suspected of shooting and wounding a US consular agent in Mexico's Guadalajara city has been arrested, Mexican officials said.
The state prosecutor's office (FGE) said on Twitter on Sunday that "Special Forces of the FGE arrested the consular agent's attacker," and handed him over to the federal Attorney General's Office (PGR), Xinhua news agency reported.
According to local media, the man arrested is a 31-year-old US citizen of Indian descent named Zafar Zia, who has been living in Guadalajara since November.
As part of the arrest, the daily Reforma reported, officials also seized a .38-caliber pistol, small amounts of marijuana and a Honda with California license plates.
The motive for the shooting was a disagreement over a visa procedure, the daily said, though officials have yet to confirm any details.
The consular agent was shot on Friday as he was driving out of a building in the city's central Vallarta Norte district.
Video footage released on Saturday by the US embassy in Mexico showed the suspect waiting on the sidewalk for the agent to leave the building in his car before firing from a few meters away, and breaking a window.
Following the attack, US officials offered a $20,000 reward for information leading to the identification of the suspect, who appears in the video wearing hospital-style blue scrubs, a wig and sunglasses.