- Charith Asalanka to lead Sri Lanka in first two T20Is vs Bangladesh
- Tripura tribal party blocks state's lifeline over ‘Greater Tipraland’ demand
- Suvendu Adhikari submits list of 17 lakh ‘fake' voters in Bengal to ECI
- Aarogya Suraksha camp held in 17th ward of Krishna district
- WPL: 'We'll keep things simple and give our 100%,' says Delhi Capitals' Radha Yadav ahead of clash against RCB
- Sri Rukmini Satyabhama Sametha Venugopala Swamy Temple in Thimmapuram
- Alla Nani Participates in Alla Nani Athmeeya Sammelanam meeting
- Indian scientists ace 1st human clinical trial of haemophilia A gene therapy
- Tenth anniversary of Hanumachshastri was celebrated
- Congress announces candidates for Meghalaya Lok Sabha seats
UN Security Council calls emergency meeting over Ukraine: Nikki Haley
The Security Council will hold an emergency meeting on Monday after Russia confirmed it had seized three Ukrainian naval ships by force in a strait near Moscowannexed Crimea, US ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley said
Washington: The Security Council will hold an emergency meeting on Monday after Russia confirmed it had seized three Ukrainian naval ships by force in a strait near Moscow-annexed Crimea, US ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley said.
"An emergency Security Council meeting has been called for tomorrow at 11:00 am," she tweeted.
The meeting was requested by both Russia and Ukraine, diplomatic sources told news agency AFP.
Ukraine's navy had accused Russia of the unprecedented incident, including firing on its vessels in the Kerch Strait, a narrow waterway that gives access to the Sea of Azov that is used by both countries.
"In order to stop the Ukrainian military ships, weapons were used," Russia's FSB security service said, confirming that "three Ukrainian navy ships were boarded and searched."
Ukraine's navy said the incident took place as two small warships and a tugboat were heading through the strait for the port of Mariupol.
It said a Russian border guard vessel rammed the tugboat in "openly aggressive actions" and then fired on the ships, immobilizing all three.
It also said the Kerch Strait was blocked by a tanker, and that Russian military aircraft were flying over the area.
Ukraine said six of its soldiers were injured, while the FSB reported only three had suffered non-life threatening injuries and were given medical treatment.