- K’taka govt delegation meets Boeing, GE and IMF officials in US
- PM Modi criticises former Central govt for non-cooperation to Vibrant Gujarat
- ACB court posts hearing on Naidu's bail and custody petition to October 4
- This is as good as winning an Oscar: ‘2018’ director Jude Anthany Joseph
- Decoded: Why your face feels 'tight' after being washed
- Salman’s ‘Tiger’ hunts with vengeance to clear his name in ‘Tiger 3’
- Signature Global shares jump 19 pc in debut trade
- Ayodhya will witness surge in economic activities after inauguration of Ram temple: Nripendra Mihsra
- AP High Court adjourns Naidu's bail plea in Inner Ring Road case to Friday
- Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg to kick off developer conference with focus on AI, virtual reality
Tsunami warning issued after 7.6 earthquake strikes east coast of New Caledonia
A powerful undersea earthquake with a magnitude of 76 struck off the east coast of New Caledonia in the South Pacific on Wednesday, said the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, adding tsunmai waves had been observed
A powerful undersea earthquake with a magnitude of 7.6 struck off the east coast of New Caledonia in the South Pacific on Wednesday, said the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, adding tsunmai waves had been observed.
The undersea quake was only a shallow 10 km (6 miles) deep and about 155 km (95 miles) east-southeast of the Loyalty Islands off New Caledonia's east coast."Tsunami waves reaching 1 to 3 metres above the tide level are possible along some coasts of New Caledonia and Vanuatu," the PTWC said, with waves of up to one metre (three feet) possible for some coasts of Fiji.There were no immediate reports of damage from the quake.
A spokesman for French mining and metals group Eramet , which operates the Doniambo nickel plant in the main harbour of Noumea, said it had enacted its tsunami alert process."The procedure is to ask people who work near the sea to move higher up," he said, adding that he had felt the quake, describing it a strong but not long-lasting shaking.