Modi pushes for simultaneous LS, Assembly polls
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday pushed for holding Lok Sabha and Assembly elections simultaneously, saying it will save a lot of time and...
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday pushed for holding Lok Sabha and Assembly elections simultaneously, saying it will save a lot of time and money.
In an interview to Zee News, he said like festivals, the dates for polls should be fixed so that the politicians and the bureaucracy are not involved in the exercise of campaigning and holding elections throughout the year. He also batted for having a single electoral roll for the Lok Sabha, Assembly and local body polls.
The Prime Minister spoke on a range of issues including country's economy, demonetisation, Goods and Services Tax, foreign policy, and India's growing influence in the world in an exclusive interview with a news channel on Friday. In his first interview in 2018, Modi spoke on host of issues.
To a question, he said the agenda of simultaneous polls does not belong to the BJP or Modi, but everyone must come together to brainstorm. "The world wants to communicate directly with India", Modi said when asked how he sees India's status at the World Economic Forum 2018 in Davos, Switzerland.
- Everyone knows what was happening in India through media before 2014. After 30 years a government with full mandate has come in India, something which has attracted the attention of the world and changed the nature of interaction
- Every time I stand beside world leaders like Putin or Trump, all I remember is that I am the representative of 1.15 crore citizens. They have given me the mandate to be here
- They said my understanding was limited to Gujarat. I made it my strength. I did not follow protocol. I was a simple man with no baggage. I made friends the world over
- India's growth in economic reforms has been tremendous. The country's economic growth has gone up in the last few months
- We have the mandate of world's largest democracy – 1.15 crore citizens. Now I am focusing on the citizens of our nations
- I will strive my best to work towards the benefit of my country. My government will focus on taking right steps and not make any mistakes
- Good things should be appreciated and bad things should be denounced – that's the role of democracy
- In the age of 'Google guru', it's easy to find out accusations as well as other facts. We need to be proactive in today's world. Issues like corruption and black money has been the topic of discussion for long
- During G20 meeting, we put forward various facts including financial and banking reforms. Today, the world is acknowledging it
- We should not be limited to few things but continue everything with a positive attitude, Modi said on new world order and PTM (Putin-Trump-Modi)
- We should connect with entire world, keeping in mind our values
- Lakhs of women would cook food on firewood. But today gas connection has reached so many homes. Government is providing insurance to poor families in 90 paise and over so far, over 90 crore families have availed it
- LED bulbs have been installed across lakhs of homes across India. All this doesn't count as work?
- During UPA time, no issues of states were taken up. Hence, we were forced to take economic and monetary reforms. GST is the product of that. We have worked hard towards building the concept of one nation-one tax
- This is my conviction, the country doesn't vote for governments. It is up to us how we make our citizens empowered, women empowered and work towards ease of living
- I want my nation to utilize me to the fullest, squeeze the most out of me. I am ready to put in my full