- BRS only party to work for welfare of people: Kavitha
- Telangana people happy with performance of BRS government: Gutha
- Karnataka Deputy CM D K Shivakumar’s Surprise visit to Rajahmundry
- Man found dead in Hayathnagar of Hyderabad
- The Dubbing Works Of Pawan Kalyan And Sai Dharam Tej’s ‘Bro’ Begins Today
- Amazon Revolution 5G sale: Get Discounts on Samsung Galaxy M14, Redmi K50i and more
- Telangana Development model-A Paradigm Shift
- Defence Exports Rise 23 Times Share of ‘Made in India’ Products in Defence Procurement Up
- Wrestlers to throw medal in Ganga
- Delimitation after 2026 Injustice to South-KTR
Karunanidhi to be laid to rest at Marina beach: Madras HC
Ending a political row between Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam DMK and Tamil Nadu government, the Madras High Court on Wednesday announced that DMK Chief M Karunanidhi can have a burial site at Chennais Marina Beach
Chennai (Tamil Nadu): Ending a political row between Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) and Tamil Nadu government, the Madras High Court on Wednesday announced that DMK Chief M Karunanidhi can have a burial site at Chennai's Marina Beach.
The order comes hours after the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK)-led state government had denied permission for Karunanidhi's memorial at the Marina Beach. "The DMK's plea for the burial of Kalaignar's body near Anna memorial has been accepted by the Madras High Court. The Court further directed Tamil Nadu government to ensure and establish a memorial for Kalaignar," said V Kannadasan, DMK's lawyer. Security has been heightened at Marina Beach.
After hearing the High Court's order, Karunanidhi's son MK Stalin broke down while the DMK chief's supporters celebrated outside the court and the Rajaji Hall, where his mortal remains have been kept. Besides a string of celebrities from all quarters of life, Prime Minister Narendra Modi also arrived at the Rajaji Hall to pay homage to Karunanidhi. Central government has declared one-day national mourning in honour of the DMK leader. Both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha were adjourned for the day as a mark of respect for the former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister.
On Tuesday, the DMK filed a plea in the court after state government denied burial space for Karunanidhi near Anna Memorial at Marina beach owing to pending petitions against burial on Marina beach.
Karunanidhi breathed his last on Tuesday at Chennai's Kauvery Hospital. His funeral will be held with full state honours.