- Role of Panchayats in dispute resolution
- Waheeda Rehman: A living legend honoured at last
- YS Jagan condoles death of senior journalist Anand Kumar
- Vijayawada: World Tourism Day observed
- Chief of Defence Staff General Anil Chauhan visits CAW
- APCOB adjudged best state cooperative bank
- Implement women’s reservation in 2024 LS polls, demands CPM
- Rajamahendravaram: SP felicitates Special Public Prosecutor
- Modi to inaugurate 800 mw NTPC plant; Kishan visits GG grounds
- Today is World Tourism Day 2023: TSTDC ratchets up efforts to boost eco-tourism in big way
Triple Talaq Bill to be tabled in Rajya Sabha today
The muchdebated Triple Talaq Bill will be tabled in Rajya Sabha on Friday a day after Union Cabinet approved an amendment to the bill
New Delhi: The much-debated Triple Talaq Bill will be tabled in Rajya Sabha on Friday a day after Union Cabinet approved an amendment to the bill.
On Thursday, the Cabinet proposed three changes in the Muslim Women Protection of Rights on Marriage Bill, 2017-first, only the victim, a blood relation or relation by marriage are allowed to lodge FIR in the case, second, the case can be dropped if husband and wife agree to settle their differences and third, a magistrate can grant bail to men found guilty of giving instant triple talaq to their wives. However, the offence still remains non-bailable.
If the amended bill is passed in the upper house, it will have to go back to Lok Sabha for approval of the amendments.
On December 29, the Lok Sabha passed the bill which seeks to make instant triple talaq a criminal offence, a day after Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government tabled it in the lower house.
The Bill proposes a three-year jail term for a Muslim man who divorces his wife in any form of spoken, written or by electronic means such as email, SMS, and WhatsApp.
Triple talaq, or verbal divorce, is practiced by a section in the Muslim community to instantly divorce their wives by uttering 'talaq' three times.