- Immunity given to lawmakers should not protect them from criminal prosecution for accepting bribes: Centre in Supreme Court
- 'I am not as communal as I am made out to be': Smriti Irani's swipe at Oppn
- 2 terrorists killed in Kashmir encounter, identified
- SC releases accused, who couldn't comply with HC condition, on bail after 3 years
- Nitish Kumar must answer how JD-U MLC was able to obtain caste survey data: Sushil Modi
- 'Gehlot Saheb, 2023 comes before 2030, have you forgotten count', Nadda takes dig at Raj CM
- What happened on October 5 in History?
- Apollo Medical College hosts 'White Coat Ceremony'
- Know about cybersecurity trends
- Youth shot at by unidentified gunmen in J&K’s Anantnag
China Open: Kashyap, Praneeth enter second round; Saina bows out
There was no end to Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal's lackluster run of form as the Olympic bronze-medallist crashed out of China Open here on Wednesday following a straight-game opening-round defeat to local favourite Cai Yan Yan.
Fuzhou (China) : There was no end to Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal's lackluster run of form as the Olympic bronze-medallist crashed out of China Open here on Wednesday following a straight-game opening-round defeat to local favourite Cai Yan Yan.
The World No.9 Saina lost 9-21 12-21 in the women's singles clash that lasted just 24 minutes to make an early exit from the USD 700,000 tournament. However, in men's singles, Saina's husband and personal coach Parupalli Kashyap registered a comfortable straight-game victory over Thailand's Sitthikom Thammasin.
The Indian outsmarted his Thai opponent 21-14 21-3 in 43 minutes. He will face seventh seed Victor Axelson of Denmark in the second round. World Championships bronze medallist B Sai Praneeth also made it to the second round beating Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia 15-21 21-12 21-10 in a 52-minute hard- fought opening round battle.
The world No. 11 Indian will take on fourth seed Anders Antonsen of Denmark in the next round. The mixed doubles pairing of Pranav Jerry Chopra and Sikki Reddy also made a first-round exit.
The duo went down 14-21 14-21 to Wang Chi-Lin and Cheng Chi Ya of Chinese Taipei. The 29-year-old Saina has been going through a tough phase with regards to her fitness since claiming the Indonesia Masters in January. She made three consecutive first-round exits before reaching the quarterfinal of the French Open last month.