- A host of activities take centre stage in harbour phase of MILAN-2024
- Jana Sena has strong idealogy of social justice and fights for people, says Reddy Appalanaidu
- India should raise voice of farmers at Abu Dhabi
- 438 TIDCO houses distributed to beneficiaries
- PM Modi lays foundation stone for permanent buildings of IIT, IIITDM
- IT Minister sends ‘mudda pappu’ to Lokesh as a return gift
- Sri Satya Sai District Collector directs officials for Strict implementation of election rules
- 50 women provided with free cooking gas connections under BJP Ujjwala scheme in Gajuwaka
- Vijayawada: GENF-2K24 witnesses enthusiastic turnout
- 177 social media accounts on farmers’ protest ‘blocked’
CM announces two new districts, number in TN up to 35
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami Thursday announced that Tenkasi and Chengelpet districts would be carved out of Tirunelveli and Kanchipuram respectively, taking the total number of districts in the state to 35.
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami Thursday announced that Tenkasi and Chengelpet districts would be carved out of Tirunelveli and Kanchipuram respectively, taking the total number of districts in the state to 35.
"The bifurcation is done for administrative convenience following representations from Ministers, MLAs and the general public," he announced while making a statement in the Assembly. Special Officers will be appointed for the proposed two new districts (to take forward work related to carving out the new regions), he said.
In January, the government had announced Kallakurichi district, the 33rd in the state, by bifurcating regions from Villupuram district. Palaniswami also announced a "Chief Minister's Special Grievances Redressal Scheme," to address grievances of the people in both urban and rural regions. He also made a slew of other announcements including a sanction of Rs 50 crore for up-gradation of amenities in Vellore Municipality.