Nirmala Sitharaman Unveils Major Steps For Migrant Workers
Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, in her second press briefing on Thursday, announced a slew of measures being taken by the Narendra Modi government for the welfare of migrant workers.
New Delhi: Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, in her second press briefing on Thursday, announced a slew of measures being taken by the Narendra Modi government for the welfare of migrant workers. Announcing the second part of the economic package
the Finance Minister, asserted that the focus of the second part is on migrant workers, small traders, street vendors and small farmers.
Measures for Migrant Workers
• The Finance Minister announced free food-grain supply to all migrants for the next 2 months through the Public Distribution System (PDS) as the first of these under which the Centre has added 5 kg of rice/wheat to all card-holders.
• Significantly, for non-card holders 5 kg of wheat or rice and one kilo of Chana through state governments will be supplied.
• About eight crore migrants will benefit through this free food-grain supply.
• The cost of the scheme will be borne totally by the Centre.
Portability of ration card on a pan-Indian basis.
- • One nation, one ration card will be implemented across the nation.
- • By August 2020, 63 crore beneficiaries in 23 states which would mean 83% of all PDS population will get covered.
- • The Centre will take it to 100% by March 2021.
- • The Finance Minister recalled that the Prime Minister referred to technology-driven systems as one of the pillars of the economy.
Affordable rental housing for migrant workers
- • Centre to launch affordable rental housing scheme with the involvement of states.
- • States will step in to incentivise industry for housing migrants to be done in a PPP mode.