Street violence as 3 militants die in Kashmir
Security forces on Thursday shot dead three militants in Jammu and Kashmir's Shopian district and battled rebels in Kupwara district, triggering street protests and a spontaneous shutdown in both places, authorities said.
Srinagar:Security forces on Thursday shot dead three militants in Jammu and Kashmir's Shopian district and battled rebels in Kupwara district, triggering street protests and a spontaneous shutdown in both places, authorities said.
The militants were killed in a gun battle that erupted when they opened fire at the security forces in Yarwan village during a cordon and search operation, a police officer said.
The other battle raged in Yaroo village in Kupwara. Two of the slain militants belonged to Pulwama and one to Shopian.
Immediately after the gunfight, civilians engaged security forces in clashes in Shopian and Pulwama towns. Security forces used tear smoke and pellets to quell the mobs, official sources said.
A spontaneous shutdown was observed in both towns, with markets getting shut and transport going off the roads.
As a precaution, authorities suspended mobile Internet services in the affected areas.
Another operation against militants was going on in Yaroo village in Kupwara district where reports said two militants were trapped inside a cordon laid by the security forces.
- Exit polls indicate Congress issues of corruption, welfare may not have clicked
- Amit Shah to host dinner for NDA leaders 2 days prior to Lok Sabha results
- Refuting Congress claims, Army top official says 1st surgical strike was in Sept 2016
- We are winning, exit poll results are wrong: Tejashwi Yadav
- Explosion of chemical container at the house of RR Nagar MLA