US-led coalition hits mosque in Syria used by Islamic State
The USled coalition says it has hit a mosque used by the Islamic State group as a command and control center in eastern Syria
BEIRUT: The US-led coalition says it has hit a mosque used by the Islamic State group as a command and control center in eastern Syria.
The coalition said Tuesday it launched the strike in support of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, who are fighting to drive the extremists from their last tiny stronghold near the border with Iraq.
It said the strike occurred Monday as IS was using the mosque to direct attacks and employ suicide car bombs against the SDF.
The coalition's deputy commander, Maj.Gen. Christopher Ghika, was quoted in the statement as saying "this mosque lost its protected status when ISIS deliberately chose to use it as a command and control center."
The SDF on Saturday launched its final push to clear the area after months of fighting.
- 98 per cent Indians will prefer sustainable stays in next 1 year
- Sonia Gandhi takes a jibe at Modi, says India has never seen such an irresponsible PM
- Thol Thirumavalavan: More than 95 Dalits were not allowed to vote in TN
- Popular Bollywood actor joins politics
- Cage's Wife of 4 days Asks for Spousal Support in Ongoing Divorce