- MyVoice: Views of our readers 25th September 2023
- Researchers roll out multilingual tool for Indic languages
- BRS in a tizzy to finalise remaining candidates
- BRS govt’s devpt measures transformed villages: MLA
- 150 Congress leaders join BRS
- Vizianagaram: Free medical camp conducted
- Member of National Commission for Scheduled Tribes interacts with RINL management
- Prakasam Bhavan gets ISO 9001 certificate
- Hospitals burst at seams as seasonal diseases grip RR
- Hyderabad: Lakhs throng to catch sight of Khairatabad Maha Ganesh
Rekha's guest appearance in Rajya Sabha post Sachin criticizm
Yesteryear Bollywood star Rekha turned up to attend the proceedings of the Rajya Sabha on Tuesday amidst criticism for attending only seven sittings since being nominated two years ago.
New Delhi: Yesteryear Bollywood star Rekha turned up to attend the proceedings of the Rajya Sabha on Tuesday amidst criticism for attending only seven sittings since being nominated two years ago.
Wearing a cream coloured saree, the 'Umraon Jaan' star posed before a battery of photographers with folded hands and said "namaste" as she entered the Parliament House complex.
Rekha, along with cricket icon Sachin, has been under attack in Rajya Sabha for low attendance in the House.
She has attended only seven sittings since she was nominated to the House two years back.
Members of the House last week said the celebrities were insulting the House by not attending it.
P Rajeeve (CPI-M), while raising the issue of long-duration absence of Rekha and cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar, had wanted to know whether they have sought permission for it.
Responding to this, Deputy Chairman P J Kurien had said Rajeeve and some other members had raised the issue earlier but there was no violation of the Constitutional provisions.
NCP leader D P Tripathi had said, "I like him (Sachin) very much as a cricketer and I really like Rekha as an actress but their conduct as nominated members of Rajya Sabha is despicable to say the least.
"By their behaviour and continued absence, they have insulted Parliament and Indian Constitution. Such people should have never been nominated to this august house. I pity those MPs who get themselves clicked with Rekha and Sachin Tendulkar."
Some other members had also expressed a desire that they felt the cricket icon should contribute more.
Besides Rekha, another Bollywood personality Rakhi Sawant, who has recently joined Ramdas Athawale-led RPI, was in Rajya Sabha visitors' gallery for some time.