- OpenAI launches upgraded version of text-to-image tool 'DALL·E 3'
- Supreme Court refuses to interfere with CWMA order directing Karnataka to release 5K cusecs of water daily to Tamil Nadu
- KTR takes part in groundbreaking ceremony of BSV Global in Genome Valley
- UP begins fourth phase of mineral block auctions
- Work breaks may help counter effects of long-sitting
- Ten injured after an RTC bus overturns in Markapuram
- World Gratitude Day
- Karnataka govt proposes ten-storied building for High Court
- Fashion with a purpose!
- DGCA refutes reports of staff shortage impacting pilot licence issuance
Assam ‘witch’ attack : Athlete assaulted in Karbi Anglong
A national level athlete was assaulted by a group of people branded as a ‘witch’ of her own village in Assam’s Karbi Anglong district on Wednesday evening, police said on Thursday.
Guwahati: A national level athlete was assaulted by a group of people branded as a ‘witch’ of her own village in Assam’s Karbi Anglong district on Wednesday evening, police said on Thursday.
The injured national level athlete was admitted at hospital and police arrested two persons in connection with the attack.
According to reports, Debojani Bora, a national level athlete was assaulted by a group of people branded as a ‘witch’ at a Namghor (community prayer hall) of her own village Cherekuli in the hill district.
Karbi Anglong district SP Mugdhajyoti Mahanta said that, Debojani Bora, medal winner in javelin in several national meets was dragged to the namghor and tied to a post and beaten up by a group of people.
“The group was instigated by the head of the namghor Radha Lashkar saying that she was a witch and responsible of several problems faced by the villagers,” the police official said.
“Debojani, a mother of three children and wife of a farmer was seriously injured in the attack and she was admitted at nearest hospital by her family members,” Mahanta said.
Police had arrested two persons including Lashkar and search operation is going on to nab the other accused persons.