- PM launches projects worth over Rs 19K cr in Odisha
- Madurai MP calls Vastu Pooja at AIIMS site 'publicity stunt'
- Ready to fight Zuckerburg anywhere, anytime with any rules: Musk
- Nothing Unveils CMF Buds and Neckband Pro Under Rs 3,000
- RBI bars JM Financial from giving loans against shares, debentures
- KALKI Fashion expands its presence by opening its first store in Hyderabad with celebrity Kajal Aggarwal
- Nothing launches Phone (2a) with dual 50MP camera in India
- Gevra coal mine in Chhattisgarh poised to become largest in Asia
- Ross Taylor alleges forced retirement for New Zealand's Neil Wagner ahead of Australia Test series
- Nifty snaps four-day winning streak on account of profit booking
Tirupati LS Bypoll: CM YS Jagan Mohan Reddy selects a new face as party candidate
- Young physiotherapist Dr Guru Moorthy is associated with Jagan during his Praja Sankalpa Yatra
- With YSRCP and TDP announcing their candidates, all eyes on BJP-Jana Sena alliance
Tirupati: The byelection for Tirupati parliamentary constituency has taken a new turn with ruling party announcing a physiotherapist, breaking the tradition of fielding family member of the candidate whose death necessitated the poll. The election is drawing everyone's attention even before it is announced as all the major players are taking it prestigiously. While TDP finalised its candidate from this reserved constituency and announced the candidature of four-time MP and former Union minister Panabaka Lakshmi, YSRCP also named a new face on Friday.
Putting to rest all speculation about the party's candidate, Chief Minister Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy decided to Dr Maddila Guru Moorthy as YSRCP candidate. The decision took many by surprise as it was far from their expectations that one of the deceased MP Balli Durga Prasada Rao's family members may get the ticket. However, it is announced that the Chief Minister had assured MLC ticket to Durga Prasad's son Kalyana Chakravarthy.
Considering various factors, the Chief Minister has decided to reward loyalty and choose Dr Guru Moorthy who was associated closely with him all the way during his Praja Sankalpa Yatra during 2017-19. Earlier, he accompanied Jagan Mohan Reddy's sister Sharmila during her Maro Praja Prasthanam yatra during 2012-13 and earned the confidence of the family members with his services.
Recognising his contributions, soon after coming to power, the Chief Minister appointed him as special officer of AP child and mentally-disabled welfare department and now he became the choice for MP ticket.
Dr Guru Moorthy belongs to Mannasamudram village of Yerpedu mandal in Srikalahasti constituency. He pursued his physiotherapy course in SVIMS and worked as physiotherapist at a private hospital in Tirupati until he joined YS Jagan's team. It may be recalled that the party senior leaders have left the choice of selecting the candidate to the Chief Minister during a meeting held on Thursday at Tadepalli.
With the announcement of candidates by both YSRCP and TDP, BJP-Jana Sena combine is also expected to name its candidate so that they should not lag behind in the campaign. In all likelihood, Congress senior leader and six-time MP Chinta Mohan will enter the fray to try his luck again.
This will make the electioneering more interesting with all parties mobilising their entire resources to get an edge over others to earn their grip on the constituency.