- Randeep Hooda’s ‘Swatantrya Veer Savarkar’ Teaser Is Out…
- The 12th edition of the Hyderabad Marathon August 27th this year
- TDP Mahanadu: Chandrababu releases manifesto under the name Bhavishyat ki Guarantee
- Chandrababu Naidu arrives at TDP Mahanadu public meeting, to address the gathering
- TDP Mahanadu: All set for huge public meeting, Naidu to arrive at venue shortly
- Shaakuntalam Bags A Total Of 4 Awards At Prestigious Cannes World Film Festival Awards 2023
- Kodali Nani pays tribute to NTR, challenges Naidu, Lokesh to contest from Gannavaram
- Rajinikanth, Anupam Kher And SRK Praise PM Modi On The Occasion Of New Parliament Inauguration
- Modi pays tribute to NTR at 101st Mann ki Baat, says he earned place in hearts of people
- Sharwanand Drops A Tweet And Confirms That He Met With A Minor Car Accident
Vempenta villagers oppose mini power plant
Gandhian-style protest adapted Wish to vacate the whole village People of Vempenta on Sunday expressed readiness to vacate the whole village...
- Gandhian-style protest adapted
- Wish to vacate the whole village
People of Vempenta on Sunday expressed readiness to vacate the whole village en masse after they failed to stop the construction of a mini power plant in the village in what could be described as true Gandhian style. Tucked in the Nallamala forest in Pamulapadu mandal in the district Vempenta is not new the trials and tribulations.
The Dalits of Vempenta faced the wrath of the upper caste people and when retaliated, they faced a number of criminal cases. The fresh trouble started after Minister for Law and Justice Erasu Pratap Reddy went ahead with the construction of his own mini power plant near the village ignoring the protests from the villagers.
A rivulet, Nippulavagu, flows near the village providing water for irrigation and drinking purpose to the village throughout the year. The construction of the mini power plant near the village would damage the ecology, people alleged. The construction was stopped by the villagers for at least four times in the last one month. The Minister deployed the police force in the village to let the construction activities go on in spite of the adverse advice by the district collector and the Human Rights Commission.
The villagers on Sunday have unanimously decided to vacate the whole village. On hearing their decision, RDO Kurmanand rushed to the village and tried to pacify the agitating villagers. He requested the villagers to wait for two days till the district collector visit the village. The 10,000 strong villagers asked the RDO to stop the construction for two days till the collector arrived. Finally, the work on the mini power plant was stopped temporarily.
The villagers took out a massive rally in the village taking out an effigy of the minister in a procession. They burnt the effigy in the heart of the village. Addressing the meeting, the villagers said that the minister would not lose anything if the power plant was stopped. They pointed out that 25,000 acres would be deprived of irrigation facility with the construction of 7.5 mw power plant and the groundwater would be depleted. They expressed their readiness to vacate the village to enable the minister to build a bigger plant there.
M SATYA PETER