Rahul to decide on contesting from Wayanad: Oommen Chandy
The decision to contest on the Wayanad Lok Sabha seat in Kerala rests with Congress President Rahul Gandhi, said All India Congress Committee general secretary Oommen Chandy said on Sunday.
Kottayam (Kerala):The decision to contest on the Wayanad Lok Sabha seat in Kerala rests with Congress President Rahul Gandhi, said All India Congress Committee general secretary Oommen Chandy said on Sunday.
"There is no confusion at all regarding Gandhi contesting the Lok Sabha polls from Wayanad. Our party here has already indicated our desire that this should happen. Now it's Gandhi who has to make the final decision and it's expected today itself," Chandy told the media here on the sidelines of an inaugural election campaign meeting.
On Saturday, top leaders including Chandy, Leader of Opposition Ramesh Chennithala, present and past state party chiefs Mullapally Ramachandran, V.M. Sudheeran, M.M. Hassan, urged Gandhi to contest on the seat.
The Congress had nominated Kozhikode district Congress President T. Siddique to contest on the Wayanad seat.
The Wayanad seat was formed in 2009 and is a stronghold of the Congress.
In 2009 and 2014, the seat was won by Congress leader M.I. Shanawaz. But it has been lying vacant since his death in 2018.
- Kerala witnesses heavy polling of 77.68 per cent votes; highest in 30 years
- Charges against CJI: Supreme Court asks IB, CBI, Delhi Police to look into evidence given
- Mayawati demands explanation on reservation from PM Modi
- PM Modi shares his likes, life moments with Akshay Kumar
- Modi biopic should be released after polls: Election Commission to Supreme Court