Cinema theatres give fire safety a go by
Tirupati: As many as 19 cinema theatres in Tirupati city are not equipped with fire fighting system and there are no signs of precautionary measures...
Tirupati: As many as 19 cinema theatres in Tirupati city are not equipped with fire fighting system and there are no signs of precautionary measures to prevent fire accidents posing a risk to the movie goers. Shockingly, none of the theatres have obtained a No Objection Certificate for occupancy from the Fire Department. Though the city is a Revenue Divisional Centre, the revenue officials seem to be not serious about the lapses in cinema theatres and about the safety of the film-goers. As per the norms, every movie theatre should be equipped with fire fighting system and the theatre management should obtain NOC from fire department. Unfortunately, all theatres have been functioning for decades without meeting these norms.A Hundreds of movie lovers throng the theatres to watch four shows every day but they were unmindful of the fire safety. "No NOC has been issued to any cinema theatre in the city yet.A A A A A We have served several notices to the managements in the past. Theatres are planning to install such fire-fighting equipment. Obtaining NOC from fire department is necessary to any theatre to start functioning. Even for the renewal also the NOC is mandatory," Fire department Officer Ramanaiah explains. There are many possibilities for fire mishaps in cinema theatres with the electrical wiring system, which is prone to develop short circuits. One cannot find red coloured buckets filled with sand in the theatres and very few fire extinguishers are seen hanging on the both sides of the walls inside the theatres.A However, refilling before the expiry date is important as well as trained persons to handle the extinguishers in case of emergency. The revenue officials are least bothered to verify whether the guidelines are being followed or neglected by the theatre managements. Fire safety system should be given a serious thought as fire mishaps have become the order of the day due to electric short circuit in old structures of late.
9 Dec 2019 8:11 PM GMT