- PIL in SC seeks directions to Centre and States to consider reasonable demands of farmers
- ISL 2023-24: Bengaluru FC push for playoffs against Hyderabad FC in Sunil Chhetri's 150th outing
- Creditors face haircut of 68% on admitted claims under IBC
- Shri Ramcharitmanas row: SC grants 2 weeks to UP government to file its reply on Swami Prasad Maurya's plea
- PVL Season 3: Calicut Heroes blaze through Delhi Toofans to get dominant win
- NewsClick row: Court grants Delhi Police 20 more days to file charge sheet in UAPA case
- Swaad of South Unveils Newest Outlet in Madhapur, Offering a Fusion of Tradition and Innovation in South Indian Vegetarian Cuisine
- This universal story about the tragic isolation of old age will move and stir Kannada and Telugu audiences: Deepak Qazir Kejriwal
- NIT Calicut and Vehant Technologies Signs MoU to Co-Teach Students and Jointly Work on AI/ML Projects
- List of Environmentally-Friendly Products Spearheading Green Movement for a Healthier Planet
Chinese tycoon arrested for suspected child molesting: Report
Wang Zhenhua, the 57-year-old chairman of Seazen Holdings, was arrested by Shanghai police, reported state broadcaster CCTV.
Beijing: A billionaire Chinese property tycoon was formally arrested for suspected child molestation Wednesday, state media said, in a case that has sparked anger over attempts to censor the incident.
Wang Zhenhua, the 57-year-old chairman of Seazen Holdings, was arrested by Shanghai police, reported state broadcaster CCTV, which released a video of Wang in custody.
Shanghai police said on their official Twitter-like Weibo account that prosecutors approved the arrest of a man surnamed Wang, along with a woman surnamed Zhou.
The public security agency takes a "zero tolerance attitude" towards cases involving crimes against minors, they said, and will "persist in cracking down on these types of crimes."
The case is under further investigation, local authorities added.
Chinese media reports said last week that Zhou delivered the nine-year-old girl to Wang after bringing her to Shanghai Disneyland from another province, after which Wang allegedly paid Zhou.
The girl later told her mother that she had been molested, leading to the detention of Wang and Zhou, according to the reports.
Chinese web users expressed outrage when a posting began circulating online, purportedly from a Shanghai public affairs official, instructing media outlets not to report on the case.
China's media is tightly controlled by the government, which routinely censors or squelches news that could embarrass authorities or well-connected figures.
Seazen and other companies controlled by Wang are involved in property development and management.
Seazen Holdings said Wang had been replaced as chairman of the company.
According to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, Wang's fortune has dropped from USD 6.6 billion to USD 4.5 billion since last Tuesday, after the reports of suspected child molestation emerged.