Aadhaar deemed constitutional after battle of 6 years: Here's the detailed timeline
National Identification Authority of India Bill, 2010 introduced, Retired Justice K S Puttaswamy and others file PILs in SC challenging validity of Aadhaar
- 2010-2011: National Identification Authority of India Bill, 2010 introduced.
- Nov 2012: Retired Justice K S Puttaswamy and others file PILs in SC challenging validity of Aadhaar.
- Nov 2013: SC orders all states and Union Territories be impleaded as respondents.
- Mar 3, 2016: Aadhaar Bill, 2016 introduced in Lok Sabha; later passed as Money Bill.
- May 2017: Former Union minister and Congress leader Jairam Ramesh moves SC challenging the Centre's decision to treat Aadhaar bill as a money bill.
- Aug 24, 2017: SC nine-judge bench rules that right to privacy is a fundamental right.
- Dec 15: SC extends deadline for mandatory linking of Aadhaar with various services and welfare schemes till March 31, 2018.
- Jan 17, 2018: SC five-judge bench begins hearing Aadhaar case.
- Jan 25: SC asks Chhattisgarh HC to modify in 10 days its order directing all trial courts in the state to mandatorily accept copies of Aadhaar card for releasing an accused on bail.
- Feb 19: Delhi BJP leader Ashwini Kumar Upadhyay seeks direction to EC to take appropriate steps to implement an 'Aadhaar based election voting system'.
- Feb 21: SC says the alleged defect that citizens' biometric details under the Aadhaar scheme were being collected without any law, could be cured by subsequently bringing a statute.
- Mar 7: SC says Aadhaar number not mandatory for enrolment of students in all India exams.
- Mar 13: SC extends March 31 deadline of Aadhaar linking till it gives its order.
- Mar 22: UIDAI CEO says breaking the Aadhaar encryption may take "more than the age of the universe for the fastest computer on earth".
- Mar 28: Social activist Reshma Prasad seeks direction to the Centre to create a separate third gender category option on PAN cards for transgenders.
- Apr 3: Centre tells SC Aadhaar law is just, fair & reasonable.
- Apr 17: SC raises concerns that there is a threat of Aadhaar data misuse.
- Apr 25: SC questions Centre on mandatory seeding of Aadhaar with mobile.
- *May 10: SC reserves verdict.
- Sep 26: Aadhaar is valid constitutionally, says SC.